If you’ve ever visited Palm Springs or read about our history, you know that at every turn, you’ll find a street named after a famous Hollywood actor. This tradition dates way back so this article will give you some background of the stars who have immortalized in the street names and their impact on the Coachella Valley.
- Gene Autry Trail- while filming movies up in Pioneer Town in the High Desert, Gene Autry would venture down to Palm Springs for a break. He bought his first home here in 1940. The location now known as The Parker Hotel used to bear his name and he was instrumental in establishing Eisenhower Medical Center. His wife Jackie still lives in Palm Springs and remains active on his behalf.
- Jack Benny Rd- Jack Benny was a long time resident in the Valley and a founder of Tamarisk CC in Rancho Mirage. He also would originate his radio show from the landmark Plaza Theater in Palm Springs. Known for his comedy routines and TV shows, he was a source of joy to all who knew him
- Burns And Allen Rd- George and Gracie, one of TV’s most loved husband and wife comedy duos. Their TV show was a hit and their personal and professional partnership lasted 38 years. George went on to live to 100 and was honored as the oldest Oscar recipient when he won his award at the age of 80 for The Sunshine Boys. It was after that he went on to make Oh God!
- Bing Crosby Drive- Located in Rancho Mirage. Bing is known for his many recordings (including White Christmas), countless movies and TV shows. His real estate holdings here included the Blue Skies Mobile Home Park that had as residents many of his show-biz pals.
- Farrell Drive- Charles Farrell, known as co-founder of The Racquet Club which was a playground for the stars, starred in My Little Margie and The Charlie Farrell Show. He was also the dashing lead in many movies and he served as a city Councilman and was the fifth Mayor of Palm Springs.
- Gerald Ford Drive- runs from Date Palm Drive in Cathedral City clear to Frank Sinatra Drive in Rancho Mirage. The Fords have a place in history here in the desert having resided here after moving from DC but especially with his wife Betty establishing The Betty Ford Center at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage.
- Monty Hall- Who doesn’t know Monty (Let’s Make A Deal) Hall? His street can be found in Cathedral City. Hall’s role as fund-raiser extrodinaire (OVER one Billion dollars!) and his awards for humanitarianism have given Hall the reputation of being a great citizen of the world.
- Bob Hope Drive- one of the most famous of all the desert streets. He and his wife Delores did much to make the desert a far better place to live. Aside from the Hope golf classic (will soon be renamed The Humana Challenge), his accomplishments also include establishing the Palm Springs Air Museum.
- Dinah Shore Drive- also known as the Mid-Valley Parkway, one of the east-west thoroughfares used by the locals during season as a way to stay out of traffic. The Kraft-Nabisco Golf Tourney still bears her name as “The Dinah” having been established in 1972. The street runs from Palm Springs clear to Palm Desert.
- Frank Sinatra Drive- located in Rancho Mirage. “One of the best things that ever happened to Palm Springs” is Frank Sinatra having called this place home. For much of his life Frank and his wife Barbara (who still resides here) were the movers and shakers of Palm Springs lifestyle bringing enrichment to the social and charity scene in Palm Springs. One of the highlights of the area is the Barbara Sinatra Children’s Center in Rancho Mirage and a wing at the Desert Regional Hospital also bears their name.
- Fred Waring Drive- Palm Desert is home to Fred Waring Dr that stretches clear to Indio. Waring is well-known for his band that entertained both on the road and on the radio entertaining people the world over including our troops during WW II. And along with his musical talent, he is the inventor of the Waring Blendor that is still on store shelves to this day.
Want more information about the Desert Cities ?
Buying or Selling Palm Springs Real Estate?
Buying or Selling in today’s real estate market is a challenge and a process that is easily accomplished with the help of a Palm Springs real estate agent focusing on the neighboring desert cities. You will need an expert who has lived in the area, knows the lifestyle and the unique housing market.
The market for real estate in the desert is alive and the values are exceptional especially for those who are looking for an ideal investment or a vacation/retirement property. We have many Palm Springs real estate properties available for every need, budget and amenity list.
Buyers: Are you searching for your primary residence? We have a variety of Palm Springs homes for sale and have what it takes to get you settled in the neighborhood of your choice.
Selling your home? Your home selling experience will be one that is easy, friendly and professional. Our mission is to offer outstanding service while utilizing the best practices and Internet technology available. We are totally connected to the Internet and will market your home on every venue available! Results is what you expect and results is what you will get.
If you are planning to buy Palm Springs investment property, or property in the surrounding area, we have the staff partners who will help with any project or property management tasks while you are away. We have helped with the small properties all the way up to the multi-million dollar projects.
The Associates motto: We’re not here just to sell you a home. We’re here to help you find the dream home you’ll love then make it yours!
Click Here To View Larger Map